Tuesday, August 30, 2016

To Stand (Or Not) In A Country That Won't Stand For Us

Recently, 49ers Quarterback, Colin Kaepernick admitted that he refuses to stand for the National Anthem in a country "that oppresses Black people and people of color".  And of course, there are many who don't understand and have subsequently taken verbal shots at Colin -- which is well within their right to state their opinion about him regarding this issue -- just like he's well within his right not to stand for the National Anthem in protest.  I honestly try to stay as far away from social media as possible during times like these.  Why?  This is when "Americans" show who they really are with their vile and despicable words.  Racist and ignorant comments get thrown around like free t-shirts at a sporting event.  And I'm quite sure that he's been called every name in the book.  One of the things that I've seen him called is "Un-American".  Explain to me this...how is someone "Un-American" when they are voicing their opinion about how fellow Americans -- fellow citizens of this great Nation of ours are being unjustly treated and shot down in the streets UNJUSTLY by those sworn to protect them only to walk free with no repercussions time after time after time?  How is that "Un-American" when he's pointing out that the societal playing field here in Great ole America is not the same for people of color.  How is that "Un-American"?  How is it "Un-American" when someone with a platform and a voice speaks up for the voiceless?  And what I find funny is the people who are mainly criticizing him are non African-Americans.  Those who know nothing about what it is to be black in America.  Of course you take exception because the Constitution was written for people that look like YOU!  Those words were never meant for us (African-Americans).  How am I supposed to logically believe that the Constitution was meant for my people when it was adopted in the year of 1789 -- a time when my people were in bondage here in this country.  A time when my ancestors were being stolen from the lands of their continent and shipped over here in chains only to live a life of servitude. 
For those of you that don't know, I am a U.S Army Veteran having given 6 years of my life to this country.  I've given my service to this country.  I've put my life on the line for this country.  I went to war for this country.  I supported others in the combat zone for this country.  I've been inside the combat zone for this country.  So before you come for me, ask of yourself what you have done for your country.  Although I am a veteran, I am a black man first.  When people see me on the street, they won't have a clue that I'm a vet...but they'll know that I am a black man.  Even though I have my opinions about the social injustices committed against African-Americans in this country, I still love this country, with all of its imperfections and scars -- as I'm quite sure that Colin Kaepernick does.  Where else can Colin Kaepernick play a sport that we play as children and make millions upon millions of dollars doing so?  There is no other place.  But, see, that's the thing...certain people feel like athletes (black athletes especially) should not have a voice because they are "living the American dream".  You're making money...shut and play.  
During the Civil Rights Era, we depended on our athletes like Bill Russell, Muhammad Ali, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, and Jim Brown among others to stand and fight for the rights of black people.  Why?  They were at least adorned by white folks for their athletic abilities, if for nothing else.  They became our voices in a white dominated society.  Nowadays, people always say how we'll never have (black) athletes like the aforementioned that will stand up for injustices against our people like they did back in the 60's and 70's.  This is true for a few reasons:  One reason is that their struggle back in those days was a lot different and much more tougher.  These athletes don't have to fear being drafted into the Army to go fight in a war like Muhammad Ali was during Vietnam.  These athletes were present during the times of the Civil Rights Era and the times immediately after so a lot of these guys lived this.  But the main difference is money -- money.  Players nowadays are literally making hundreds of millions of dollars, figures that athletes of yesterday could only dream about....hell, they weren't even making millions.  Many guys today will not put their contracts or future contracts on the line by speaking out on social injustices.  So, in essence, they will toe the line.  Case in point....New York Giants Wide Receiver, Victor Cruz half heartily voiced his support for Colin but then backed that up by saying that "you must stand with your teammates for the National Anthem and that it's bigger than you".  Wake up, Victor Cruz!  Of course it's bigger than Colin Kaepernick...that's his whole point!  Why else would he be put his career on the line by taking this stance?  He is putting his earning potential on the line in lieu of an issue that he feels is bigger than he is.  Other than putting his life on the line, what is bigger than a man willing to risk his wages that he uses to take care of himself and his family?
I find it funny how so many have become so American and are crucifying Colin.  Since those of you out there are all of a sudden so patriotic and red blooded Americans through and through, answer me this...when you're watching sporting events at home and the National Anthem is being played, do you stand up in acknowledgement of the National Anthem or do you continue to sit or do you get up only to go grab something from the fridge?  A couple weeks ago Olympic Gymnast, Gabby Douglas received much criticism for not placing her hand over her heart for the National Anthem during the gold medal ceremony.  She was standing, but did not have her hand over her heart.  Did I miss something or has this land of the free, you know, where democracy reigns switch up to a dictatorship?  If so, let me know because all of this backlash would then start to make sense.
Many people are out there using the military as an excuse to say that Colin is disrespecting the flag and what have you.  Matter of fact, I was asked as a veteran myself does Colin's act offend me.  Absolutely not!  And my reasons are for the same exact reasons that Colin explained.  Military members like myself and most definitely those that came before me fought for the right to be free -- the right to live and express one's religious, political, personal, and societal views with absolute freedom.  Is Colin spewing hate at America?  Not even in the slightest.  He's saying America, I love you, but we need to talk....we need to change!  The fact that folks are so caught up with the act of him sitting during the National Anthem and not saying, okay, Colin, you have our attention, lets talk further proves the point of the problems we face here.  He just told you that African-Americans and people of color are not being treated the same in this country yet you yell at him for not standing up.  You make it clear what really is the priority to you...and it's not the lives of  fellow Americans being unjustly taken from us.
I've been asked would I do what Colin is doing.  Nah.  Let me explain to you why.  I've given so much of myself to this country, so when the opportunity presents itself, I'm going to stand upon the soil that I swore to defend and feel God's breath kiss my skin and remember not only my service to this country as a member of its military, but my service to this country as a citizen.  Service is not limited to being a member of the armed forces.   Am I implying that Colin hasn't given anything to this country or that I've given more?  Sure not.  I'm only speaking for myself because I can't speak for his contributions just like I can't speak for yours or the man/woman standing next to you.  He's doing what he feels is right and I am totally with him although I will continue to stand during the National Anthem for my own personal reasons.
For a moment, I would like to speak directly to those who don't understand Colin and his strong stance in regards to this issue of standing for the National Anthem.  Put yourself in our shoes...the shoes of African-Americans.  How would you feel if you lived in a society where it seems as if the lives of people that look just like you didn't matter?  How would you feel with living with constant anxiety and fear of police?  If I am currently addressing you -- the people that don't understand, chances are you're probably saying something like don't get stopped by the police or don't commit any crimes that would involve the police.  Philando Castile was a licensed firearm carrier who informed the police during a traffic stop that he did in fact have a weapon and still ended up murdered.  If he had any intention on using that firearm against the cops would he have told the cop that he was in fact in possession of that weapon?  No, he wouldn't!  He was well within his right to be carrying a firearm legally as stated by his Second Amendment Right.  How would you feel if that was your loved one being shot down like that?  How would you feel if your daughter was Latasha Harlins, a young black girl from Los Angeles who went to a corner store to buy orange juice, in which she was paying for, subsequently ended up in an altercation with the Korean owner, turned to walk away with money in hand only to be shot in the back of the head.  The owner was convicted of Manslaughter and ordered to pay $400 and serve 5 years probation and 400 hours of community service.  The real question is this: if this scenario happened in Beverly Hills or another affluent suburb in Los Angeles, would the senseless murder of a white child go severely unpunished?  This is an example of how meaningless our lives mean to America.  What if you were the parent of Mike Brown, or the parent of Oscar Grant who was shot in the back as he laid on the ground unarmed, or the parent of Trayvon Martin, or the soon to be wife of Sean Bell, or the family of Alton Sterling, or the family of Sandra Bland, or the family of Johnathon Ferrell who was seeking help after being in an accident.  The cases are literally endless.  How would you feel if you and your loved ones, who are citizens of THIS nation had to deal with being profiled and perceived negatively?  How would you deal?  Would you feel the love from your country?  Probably not.  So until you truly understand what it's like to be a minority in this country, a person of color in this country, and most definitely an African-American in this country, you'll never understand our pain and our struggles.

Dear Colin Kaepernick,

Thank you for taking a stand.  Thank you for doing it with conviction even when you knew the whole world wouldn't understand you.  It may not mean much to you, but I appreciate the fact that you are laying so much on the line for a cause bigger than you.  There will be many who don't understand you and your action...just as they didn't understand Ali when he refused to go to Vietnam to fight for a country that he felt wouldn't even fight for him.  As a veteran who has served this country, you do not disappoint or offend me.  I feel in my heart that your motive is genuine and that you have deep love for our country.  Stay motivated, brave, and encouraged.  I pray nothing but blessing for you, your family, and this country.  Be blessed

-Craig


No comments:

Post a Comment