Saturday, December 31, 2011

City On The Endangered Species List

     I view being from the city of New Orleans as a privilege and an honor.  I cannot fathom being from any other place in the entire world.  I have great affection for Charity Hospital, to which I was born on September 8, 1979.  The name suggests exactly that.  It was a place where people without any medical insurance could get care.  Notice that I used the word "was" when referring to the hospital.  Charity sits in Downtown New Orleans, and you can probably imagine that it suffered significant damage during Hurricane Katrina in 2005.  Despite it being cleaned up to standard, the state of Louisiana (politicians) determined that it would not re-open.  You can make your own assumptions as to the reasons why. I personally have my own, but that is not what we're here for.
     Due to my father being in the Air Force, and myself ultimately enlisting in the Army, I have been all over the country, and the world for that matter.  So I can honestly say this with all sincerity; there is no place with the uniqueness, mystique, atmosphere, history, and culture of New Orleans.  No matter where I'm at in the world, when people find out where I'm from, they usually have a hundred and one questions for me.  Some of them even say how much they enjoyed visiting New Orleans and that they've never had so much fun.  Others say they never been but desperately want to go.  One of the questions that I cannot escape is this question:  Is the violence in New Orleans as bad as they say it is?
     Whenever I get asked about the violence in New Orleans, I give it to them straight with no chaser.  I think of Master P saying boastfully in one of his songs, "the murder capital of the world so fool watch yo back."  To be honest, I really wish that I could cast New Orleans' violence as urban legend or myth.  But anyone affiliated with New Orleans knows that would be lie of significant proportion on my behalf.
     New Orleans is a place where people love to be from, but desperately want to leave.  It also is a place where many don't know how to leave, and have never left, literally!  I was one to always say that I would move away.  I just couldn't imagine raising a family in an area ravaged with crime so badly that it seems to be the norm.  I couldn't imagine raising a family in an area where the police departments (NOPD specifically) are corrupt, and involve themselves in more criminal activity then the criminals they are sworn to protect the city's citizens from.  Most of you know about police departments in major cities like the NYPD and the LAPD.  So if you're not familiar with the NOPD, let me tell you that its history of corruption, criminal activity, and violence amongst its officers is mind blowing and real!  I also couldn't imagine raising a family where the education system ranks among the lowest in the country.
     In New Orleans, there is a motto; "get it how you live."  What that basically means is this; however you live or whatever you choose to do (lifestyle wise), that is how the fortunes or misfortunes of life come your way.  For example: If you have a job making your money legally and don't involve yourself in any illegal activity, then most likely no hurt, harm, or danger should come your way.  But if you indulge in criminal activity like selling drugs, carjacking, burglarizing homes and such, you will reap the consequences of that type of life--that usually being actions of violence brought to you, and/or jail.  I find that motto to be half true when talking about life in New Orleans.  How can you explain two year old babies getting killed by gunfire?  How do you explain an eight year old being murdered by his mother's boyfriend because that eight year old was protecting his mother from being beaten by that savage, heartless, gutless person?  How do you explain a family going to have dinner and being carjacked and robbed of their possessions?  None of these scenarios are scenarios where the individual(s) were "getting it how they lived."
     I only write this blog because of my extreme love for the city of New Orleans, and my desire for the people within it to change.  Change their viewpoints and ways of thinking.  The new year is here, and what I am about to state is a very sad but true fact.  By the time the first week of the new year has concluded, the city of New Orleans will have more homicides then most places will have by late summer.  I've been places when the sixth homicide was reported on the news about July or August.  New Orleans can average about 4-6 homicides a day.  I don't know what the record of homicides in a day is, but I remember in the early 2000's New Orleans having a day in which there were about 15 or 16 homicides in one day.  I want you to sit on that for a second.  I've been to a war zone (Iraq) and we experienced days where there were absolutely no bloodshed or loss of life.  And just like the enemy likes to carry in Iraq, the AK-47, or the chopper as known in New Orleans, is used like a debit card is used at a store.  I once read in JET Magazine how a middle school kid was arrested for bringing an AK-47 to school.  I'm sure that it wasn't for show and tell either.
     I know my plea may not reach many, but I plea for my people to stop the violence.  Stop the activity that brings violence not only upon you, but your family.  If you truly love your family, think about the possible consequences because of your decisions. In particular, my black males.  If you're from New Orleans you have lost a family member or friend to violence.  This too, sadly is a fact and I am no different.  I have lost a family member and friends to gun violence.  So I know about the pain and the never ending cycle that happens in New Orleans.  Here is what I wanna ask my brothers: When you take a life, what do you ultimately accomplish?  I remember when my cousin was murdered there were people that wanted revenge for his murder.  I can remember feeling sick to my stomach because of that.  Our family was already suffering because of the loss of our loved one.  Why continue the cycle?
     If there were a list of endangered cities, I'm sure that New Orleans would be atop that list.  No other way to put it than genocide is taking place.  I know that may seem too harsh of a word, but I don't believe it is in this case.  And it is happening right on American soil.  But I wonder how much America really cares about what happens in New Orleans.  If you remember, New Orleanians were thought of and referred to as refugees after Hurricane Katrina.  Added on top of the fact of the slow response to aid people after such a horrific natural disaster.  So why would I believe that New Orleans is a priority to America.
     I want all of my folks in New Orleans that are hopeless or don't believe that their conditions can possibly change to do something for me.  I want you to go outside and look at the beautiful blue sky.  That blue sky is the same blue sky that people are looking at in Beverly Hills, The Hamptons, an affluent suburb in Atlanta, in Italy, in Dubai, and all over God's green earth. I say look at that sky because that sky represents endless possibilities for you and your families.  You're not in a box!  The sky represents that as well.  Break generational curses that plague families generation after generation.  IT IS POSSIBLE!  Put down your drugs and guns. Pick up books and learn about your rich heritage that built a wonderful jewel in the Crescent City aka New Orleans.  Preserve and honor that heritage by being law abiding and productive citizens.  But the change has to come within you first.  As you can see, sometimes we is all we got.  If Frederick Douglass (a former slave) can make it out of his circumstance and impact the world in a positive way, what makes you think that you can't?  Anything is possible!  You have the power and ability to achieve it, NO MATTER what it is!  I pray that I see brighter days for you New Orleans.  Do you?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the blog of our beautiful city. All your points are true and no half stepping with whats going on in the city. Recently here in Ohio in the city of Akron 6 people were killed in one night. All they could say was stop the violence and ask that everyone help. To me I could not show sympathy for their little violence because of what happens in my city on a day to day basis. New Orleans has in a sense made me immune to other city's violence and abuse because of what we grew up with back home. It pains me as well to see and hear about the tragedy that our city faces but being a 30 year man things have not change since we were kids its only gotten worse. I pray that it does but who are we kidding. Sorry didn't mean to add to shameless and disbelief of whats happening in the city that raised us but its true. Thanks again for putting your heart into yet again another beautiful piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading and I appreciate the support! I too find myself being non-sympathetic to different areas "crime problems." Not that I don't care, but being from the New Orleans area kind of weakens your sensitivity to other areas crime to a degree. It's sad, but true.

    ReplyDelete