Monday, September 5, 2011

The Mirror That America Refuses To Look At

     November 4, 2008 is a date that will forever be etched in my memory.  It's the day that my father never thought he would've seen.  It was the day that my father said that I would probably never see.  And to be honest, as I matured in years, I started to believe that my father was right.  But on that day, America elected Barack Hussein Obama as its 44th President, making him the first African-American to be elected President.  Tears just streamed down my face as the montage and music played, showing various pictures of President-Elect Obama.  That was by far my most proudest moment as a black man.  Through my eyes, years of struggle, pain, oppression, feeling inadequate, and the sacrifice of so many of my ancestors became vindicated.  It sent a message to little black boys (and girls) that we can be anything that we wanted to be.
     But of course, when you become the first African-American President of the United States of America, you're going to encounter skepticism that probably no other man holding that position has had to endure.  Even as Senator Obama promoted change to the face of this nation while campaigning, not everybody was ready for the change that was inevitable.  In the documentary By The People: The Election of Barack Obama; there are parts where people (not African-Americans) were holding stuffed monkeys saying that they didn't want anybody who looked like that (referring to the monkey) running their country.  I've heard many racial derogatory terms, but, when an African-American is referred to as a monkey or an ape, it does something to me.  Reason being, is because it is meant to directly refer to us as less than, or, not human.  I actually two-pieced (two punches to the face) a Spanish kid in Spain for calling me a monkey.  I still remember the rage and the disrespect that I felt at that moment.
     Throughout time, African-Americans have been viewed as inadequate by many in regards to performing certain jobs.  We were, and still are to a degree, thought of as inferior intellectually.  Even in sports, blacks have historically been deemed not fit to perform as quarterbacks, coaches, and in upper management positions. Not because they were evaluated and people came to these conclusions. But, just because of their skin color. We've come a long way, but still have so much farther to advance.
     When Senator Obama burst onto the scene, it was clear that this guy was for real, and was a viable candidate for the presidency.  He could articulate himself with the best and not sound like he was forcing himself to be who he was not.  But many passed his expanded vocabulary and extraordinary use of diction as him using "fancy words."  Being a black man myself, I find each day that we live a damn if you do, damn if you don't type of lifestyle.  Yet, I pray that black men continue to strive for degrees from universities, rather than striving for prison sentences.
     I understand that not all people are going to support President Obama, or even agree with some of his policies.  I get that!  But to dislike the man just because he is African-American is another thing.  Let me say this--I learned a long time ago that if you have a fraction of African-American blood in you, then that's just what you are--African-American.  That's just the way the world and society views you, at least.  That's why I'll never refer to President Obama as half black or mixed.  If it weren't true, then people wouldn't parallel President Obama to a monkey, being that he's half white.  And if you haven't noticed, I make it a point to call him by his title--President Obama.  I've never seen a president referred to (in the media) by just his last name as much as President Obama has been.  Even the inept (in my opinion) President George W. Bush received more respect in that regard.
     Speaking of respect.  What president has been blatantly disrespected such as our current president?  I'll answer that for you--NO ONE!  What president do you know that has been called a liar as he addressed Congress and the Nation by his own  people?  What president do you know that has been called a tar baby?  I don't care how anyone tries to dress it up or explain it.  The phrase tar baby is a racial reference--PERIOD!    I commend President Obama how he has handled these things because Lord knows that I would be beside myself.
     I do not think that President Obama is a perfect man by far.  But, the time has come for America to look itself in the mirror to fix its blemishes.  I know that the mirror can be revealing.  But how can you know what needs to be fixed until you look that mirror face on?  America is indeed the greatest place in the world to call home.  Still America still has great faults, and a history that cannot be ignored.  The time for atonement is now!  As an American, one thing that saddens me is that not all Americans look upon each other with love.  I know that I may never see it, but, my prayer is for color to be abstract from one's view totally.  We are a nation of many cultures, ethnicity's, and races.  That's what makes America a wonderful and such a unique place to call home.  Why can't we live and love each other totally?

    "God has a way of standing before the nations with judgement, and it seems that I can hear God saying to America; you're too arrogant, if you don't change your ways, I will rise up and break the backbone of your power and I'll place it in the hands of a nation that doesn't even know my name.  Be still and know, that I'm God.'  ~Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment